The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three

The Drawing of the Three - Stephen King From the very moment I opened this book, I knew I was going to like it. Immediately, I was drawn into the world that King was trying to paint. I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the rest of the Gunslinger Series based upon the first book (let’s be honest, the book is rather boring and, at first, confusing), but I am so glad I kept reading.The Drawing of Three continues with Roland and his adventure towards the Dark Tower. As predicted by the man in black in the last book, Roland must collect three people who will aid him in his quest to the Dark Tower. This is how he comes into contact with The Prisoner, The Lady of Shadows and The Pusher.Roland first comes into contact with The Prisoner. This first encounter is a fast-paced, in-your-face read. Wowser! I couldn’t get enough and read this entire chunk of the book in one afternoon. I can relate on a personal level to that of drug addiction (I have a very close family member who has been addicted heavily to heroin for years), so I was immediately drawn to the story of Eddie Dean. King’s description of Eddie’s feelings, thoughts and actions seemed, to me, to be pretty spot on and I found the turn of events (from the scenes of the first novel to that of this one) to be very thought provoking.Needless to say, I need a break after reading about Roland and Eddie’s encounter.Next, Roland comes into contact with the Lady of Shadows, and that story, as well, was exciting yet exciting in a different way from Roland and Eddie’s story. I won’t go any further into what happens at this point and further on as I do not want to spoil the book for anyone.The book was fantastic. I am much more intrigued to find more about this Dark Tower and what Roland will have to do, what he will have to sacrifice, in order to make his full journey to the Tower. Roland is a fantastic character, and I hope he doesn’t have to go through much pain.