Sabriel (The Old Kingdom Trilogy, #1) - Garth Nix Wow, where do I start?This book is amazing. From the moment I picked up the book, I was hooked. I haven't stopped thinking about Sabriel since, and, in fact, I think she may be my favorite character of all time. She nestles like an old friend in the back of my mind, even now after I've finished. In general, I find it so hard to believe that this book is a reading challenge for 7 to 9 year olds. I would think that the world itself would be too mature for such young children to understand, and I felt very satisfied reading this story as an adult (and I was even confused at times with the magic system). My hat goes off to any child under the age of ten that has read this book and understood its message.The world itself was well built, but not over the top. The characters were superbly written and described (especially Sabriel). I love simplicity. I think so much knowledge can be gained through simplistic needs; why bother to say something in half an hour if it can be said more simply in five minutes? Why add convoluted adjectives and adverbs to describe something when a sentence of ten words can be description enough? This is my general overall feeling towards many of the things I read, but there are some exceptions, of course (Lolita comes to mind as an exception as this book was ingenious in its superfluous writing and tongue-jumping passages). Sabriel was a full, imaginative story, but it was simple... clear... something akin to fresh, clean water, and I loved every little, tiny word of this it.I cannot express enough how much I enjoyed this story. So much so that I have Lirael and Abhorsen sitting on my desk to be read as soon as I can pick up my next book.Such a beautiful story. Sabriel will stay with me for always, and it'll be a story I will introduce to my children as a young age.